Founded by Frank Dennison in 1948 in the yachting mecca of Fort Lauderdale as Broward Marine. First Broward Yacht was initiated from Navy contracts, in particular minesweepers After World War II, when the demand for minesweepers dropped, Broward Marine began to build luxury custom yachts including the Alisa V, a 95 ft long superyacht considered to be one of the biggest yachts of its era. In 1948, Frank Dennison decided to buy the Fort Lauderdale shipyard, where the company’s initial boat service and repair work started. In 1953, Broward Marine built their first custom wooden motor yacht, Stormy III. Today, Broward specialises in building custom luxury yachts between 18 and 50 m in length, as well as offering full refit, repair and maintenance services.
Broward yachts were originally built of wood, aluminium became the material of choice, and designers began working the new metal technologies with traditional yacht lines. Broward Shipyard has launched more than 300 yachts since its inception.
Broward Marine developed a reputation for quality and value and eventually was sold to Glenn Straub in 1999, and later to Tom Lewis who renamed the company Broward Yachts. The company today still has the reputation of good quality and value yachts for sale and is one of the world’s most renowned luxury yacht providers, priding itself on meticulous preparation and planning.
Notable yachts of Broward are Stormy III, Jonathan III, and Coco Loco (Viva Mas).